Tuesday 16 October 2012

Jack of all Trades

Many of us have heard the phrase "A jack of all trades is a master of none".  I beg to differ.  In my ever-expanding experience, a Master of Library Science is a master of all trades, with more than the passing knowledge of any average jack.

For instance, for the renovation this summer, I and my staff needed to become project managers for a medium-scale project.  This included:

  • Accurate measurements and the creation of a scale drawing of the facility and existing furniture.
  • Fundraising
  • Interior design concerned with spacing, appearance, color, and furniture.
  • Painting
  • Carpet removal
  • Concrete preparation
  • Bookshelf moves
  • Book moves and re-moves

All before we could even put the books back in order.  By the way, for the uninitiated, librarians do more than "just putting books on shelves."

Then there are the manifold issues of day-to-day operations.
  • Employee management
  • Student worker management
  • Scheduling
  • Programs
  • Patron interaction
  • Budgeting
  • Administrative responsibility
  • Collection development
  • Faculty interaction
  • Building maintenance

I also have taken on some of the duties of our faculty and teach in the classroom about every other semester.  That includes:
  • Content review
  • Lesson plans
  • Actual class time
  • Grading

The thing is, schooling for the library degree really does prepare you for almost all of these situations.  I was exposed to the possibility of these duties and many other things within the academic rigors of my classes.  It's the ultimate vo-tech school because I was preparing for a vocation with all of the technical training I would need.  I definitely didn't feel this prepared when I finished my Bachelor's in Biology, practical skills were in short supply.  Now I am thankful that The Lord guided my steps to the job I love and prepared me for it well!

Maybe I can consider myself a "jack of all trades and master of many."

No comments:

Post a Comment