Friday 10 February 2023

Book Review--Storm Front

Book Review

Storm Front 

Written by Jim Butcher

Narrated by James Marsters


Sometimes, I am late to the party.  This is one of those times.


In my defense, there was a 12 year period of time that I was out of the U.S. living in Singapore (amazing) and Guam (fantastic) and Texas, in between (awesome).  Even when we were stateside, I was the mean mom who didn't let my kids watch much TV and we didn't have cable. That means there were a lot of American pop culture trends that passed by me.  

Now I'm trying to make up for that lack by exploring television shows that aired in the first decade of this century.  I came across a single season (such a shame they didn't keep it up) of The Dresden Files This fantasy show is set in modern Chicago but features supernatural elements and a practicing wizard P.I..  Wizards, magic, and mystery?  I'm in!  Enter in my new celebrity crush Paul Blackthorne (no, I haven't read his bio--if I find out he's married, I will be crushed instead of doing the crushing!).  Watching the credits, I realized the show was based on a book series that started in 2000 and if it's one thing I know... THE BOOK IS ALWAYS BETTER!

I love it when I'm right!

The book was excellent with a well-rounded main character. Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden is a moral, hardworking, hardworn wizard who will find the perpetrator of a crime even at the very edge of reality.  We meet Harry when he is already established (although down on his luck) as a practicing private investigator making no secret of his wizarding abilities. His talent and power are fully realized so we follow along his journey to find the culprit as he uses the tools he has available as he searches them out, while scoping out attractive women along the way.  He and his 'assistant', an enchanted skull, combine knowledge to create powerful magic--a dynamic duo, indeed.  (Although I did appreciate the corporeal incarnation of Bob in the show which Terrence Mann portrayed so well.)

I have to insert some fangirling about the audio version of this book.  The narrator, James Marsters, was an exquisite match to the character.  The resonance of his voice, the inflections, the pacing, the ... everything was perfection! And it amused me to discover that this powerful voice performer... is also a screen actor playing in quite a few notable roles! Most recognizable to those of my generation, as Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer television series. I learn something new every day!

If you are a fan of the book series and haven't caught the single season of The Dresden Files, a word of caution. As with any translation from words to screen there are liberties taken; and this season seems to have incorporated and blended quite a few strings from the book series to make a different dynamic flow and some broad license with character names and traits.  Be forewarned!

No comments:

Post a Comment