Friday 20 January 2023

Book Review--Bookish People

Book Review

Bookish People

Written by Susan Coll

Narrated by Alexa Morden 


This is book is harder to review because it exposes my personal bias. And I have to admit to it.

I prefer plot-driven stories.  I like action.  I like things to move along towards an inevitable end (and if it's not a happy ending, the book might find its way launched across the room).  Bonus points if there's fantasy and/or mystery components.  That's why I like fiction--it can take me to another world.  For my personal enjoyment in reading, it is escapism.

I read Bookish People.  It is character-driven. Not in my usual repertoire.

I admit.  It was slow.  But that's because it's intended to be.  When we are going through our lives, some days zoom by but some linger.  When I am going through a challenging season in life, time can almost seem to stand still.  And that oddly warped perception is what Coll captures in her story.  She takes a snapshot of the intertwined lives of normal people and walks the reader through their good days and bad days, their thoughts and emotions, their reactions to their situations and the people they come into contact with. You can feel the inevitable march towards a collision of lives but it doesn't feel ominous or threatening; it is a slow anticipation of what is to come.

This slow-burn leading up to final event was reminiscent of when I watched Napoleon Dynamite.  A lot of "where are we going with this?" culminating in a fantastically adorable scene and a lot of re-visting of the cute occurrences that led up to the finale.

I appreciated this meander outside of my normal parameters and urge readers to consider stepping outside of their comfort zone.


Did I mention there's a tortoise?!


No comments:

Post a Comment