Friday 6 January 2023

Book Review--Glass and Steele

 Book Review

Glass and Steele Series

# 1 The Watchmaker's Daughter

#2 The Mapmaker's Apprentice

#3 The Apothecary's Poison

by C.J. Archer

Narrated by: Emma Powell; Marian Hussey


The Watchmaker's Daughter claims the position of the first book I finished in 2023.  Reading a book I enjoyed is a great way to start off the new year but the discovery was made a few days prior with The Librarian of Crooked Lane.

I have two books on hold with Libby (argh, waiting is hard!) so I switched apps and scrolled through my Hoopla recommendations to see what they suggested.  It's pretty much obligatory for me to stop and read the summary of any book about a library or librarian and Crooked Lane seemed to be right up my alley.  Books, libraries, a hint of magic, and the promise of romance.  It did not disappoint.  I also enjoyed the narrator, Marian Hussey, and it always impresses me how a reader can make or break an audiobook. 

Alas and alack, the Librarian of Crooked Lane is so new, the next book in the series does not come out until March of this year! But since I enjoyed the book so much, there was nothing for it but to begin the original series.

This is set in Victorian England, the same setting as many of my favorite historical romance novels from back in the day, with a slight twist.  Magic is real. But often so subtle that the  magicians themselves don't always realize they have it.  Add in a sympathetic hero, a cast of friends and relatives that make you smile and groan at the same time, and a mystery to solve and you've got a nice time in store as you settle back and enjoy the adventures and slow burn of the two main characters.


*If you are interested in access to free e-books and audiobooks--visit your local library to find out what they have to offer!


No comments:

Post a Comment